Aruba asks U.S. to lift sanctions affecting refinery financing

ORANJESTAD - Aruba is asking the United States to lift financial sanctions blocking a Citgo Petroleum Corp oil refinery from financing an overhaul project, which has led to job cuts on the Caribbean island, the nation’s prime minister said on Monday.
 
Prime Minister Evelyn Wever-Croes said at a media briefing that the United States initially ruled out a relaxation of sanctions, which this month led to a halt on a $685 million renovation project that was started in 2016.
 
The island government is expecting a final answer this week on its request to allow between $15 million and $20 million be invested in the project, Wever-Croes said, adding that the money would allow for the recall of the workers.
 
Citgo, as a unit Venezuela’s state-run oil company, Petroleos de Venezuela SA, is subject to financial sanctions imposed by the United States on the country’s government and PDVSA, designed to oust Venezuela’s socialist president, Nicolas Maduro.
 
Citgo Aruba Refining signed a 15-year lease with the government of Aruba, agreeing to refurbish and reopen an idled 209,000-barrel-per-day refinery. That work was halted earlier in February and employees laid off because of the U.S. sanctions.
 
A first round of sanctions on Venezuela and PDVSA in 2017 had caused delays to the project.

Celebration 75th Anniversary Consulaire Corps CuraƧao

WILLEMSTAD - On the 22nd of April 1944, during World War II, the Consulaire Corps Curaçao was born. The 75th anniversary of the Corps was celebrated with a reception on 23 May 2019. The Governor of Curaçao, the Prime Minister, members of the Corps and many other dignitaries were present.

UoC neemt afstand van publicaties over weg door mangrovebos

WILLEMSTAD - De Universiteit van Curaçao Dr. Moises da Costa Gomez (UoC) neemt afstand van de publicaties die gisteren en vandaag in de media zijn verschenen betreffende studenten van de UoC, over de weg die de overheid wil aanleggen dwars door de mangrovebossen bij Rif.

OM seponeert zaak tegen Steven Martina

WILLEMSTAD - Het Openbaar Ministerie (OM) heeft het onderzoek tegen de voormalig Minister van Economische ontwikkeling, Dr. Ir. Steven Martina afgerond en besloten de zaak onder voorwaarden te seponeren.