Dennis Richardson: Leaked proposal had been taken ‘off table’

PHILIPSBURG--Justice Minister Dennis Richardson says the "leaked" proposal to send 50 to 55 persons to St. Maarten to strengthen law enforcement was part of the original draft kingdom measure on the integrity chamber and has been "off the table" since.

Richardson said in a press release on Sunday that this proposal had been referred to during the four countries Justice Ministers consultation in the Netherlands last year. "However, it was explicitly stated that whatever support is forthcoming for St. Maarten will be done within the present division of powers and tailor-made to the needs of the country involved. Each Minister would be given the opportunity to make proposals on how the assistance can be used," Richardson said.

Following that process, a small group of Dutch experts would draft a plan for strengthening the Justice System based on these proposals.
 
"We understand that the Justice System can use some strengthening. I even requested specific aid from the national detectives of the Netherlands to our national detective agency because of the heavy load of cases here. That was more than a year ago and we're still waiting," Richardson noted.
 
"So yes there was on the table the proposal to strengthen the Attorney-General's office with special investigators, but it is not acceptable to assume you can do that in general and not acceptable to me as Minister of Justice. To whom will he be accountable? One guess would be the Netherlands.
 
"It is a game being played and it is disgusting. We can be using much more positive energy to do positive things for the countries rather than having to focus on these distractions that give the impression that we would just roll over and accept them if presented again."
 
Richardson added that he was very pleased to see the police union NAPB make "very strong" statements about any unilateral measures without consultation.
 
The proposal states that the Netherlands would be investing some 10 million euros per year from 2015 to 2016 to strengthen St. Maarten's law enforcement. Additional manpower of 50 to 55 persons would be needed in Philipsburg. These persons, who would be involved in extensive criminal investigations, would be in addition to the already present Royal Dutch Marechaussees and the Kingdom Detective Team RST.
 
The Daily Herald
 
 
Dennis Richardson: plan van Nederlandse detectives van tafel
 
PHILIPSBURG – Minister Dennis Richardson (Justitie) heeft dit weekeinde eindelijk gereageerd op berichten dat het koninkrijk de komende twee jaar 23 miljoen dollar wil steken in de bestrijding van de criminaliteit in Sint Maarten, onder meer door 50 tot 55 Nederlandse detectives op het eiland te detacheren.
 
Op zondag verklaarde Richardson in een persbericht dat het plan om al die detectives te sturen inderdaad aan de orde is geweest, als onderdeel van het oorspronkelijke (Nederlandse) ontwerp voor de Integriteitskamer. “Dat plan is nu van tafel", aldus Richardson
 
De minister stelt dat het plan vorig jaar is besproken tijdens het Justitieel Vierlandenoverleg in Nederland. Richardson zei toen dat assistentie voor Sint Maarten alleen kan op basis van de reguliere machtsverhoudingen en dat hulp moet zijn toegesneden op de behoeften van het land dat er om vraagt.
 
Dit suggereert dat de aanpak ook is voorgesteld voor Curaçao en Aruba. Minister Richardson herhaalde dat hij geruime tijd geleden heeft gevraagd om versterking voor de Landsrecherche. “Dat is meer dan een jaar geleden en we zitten nog steeds te wachten.”
 
Richardson bevestigt dat er ook een plan was om het kantoor van de procureur-generaal te versterken met gespecialiseerde detectives, maar dat hij bezwaar maakt tegen dit soort maatregelen zonder overleg.
 
Volgens de minister worden er “walgelijke” spelletjes gespeeld. “Men kan zijn energie beter gebruiken om positieve dingen voor het land te doen.”
 

Wijziging dienstverlening Gerecht in eerste aanleg Bonaire vanwege Coronamaatregelen van 21 t/m 30 september

KRALENDIJK – Om de verspreiding van het coronavirus Covid-19 tegen te gaan heeft het Gerecht in eerste aanleg Bonaire een aantal maatregelen genomen. Deze maatregelen gelden voorlopig vanaf vandaag, 21 september, tot en met 30 september 2020.

Politie neemt gevaarlijke honden in beslag

WILLEMSTAD - Heden heeft het HIT-team van de politie op last van de officier van justitie van het Openbaar Ministerie twee gevaarlijke honden in beslaggenomen. Dit naar aanleiding van een bijtincident dat deze zomer plaatsvond bij Koredor.

Openbaar Ministerie schikt met geldtransactiekantoren

De officier van justitie van het Parket Procureur-Generaal van Curaçao, Sint Maarten en Bonaire, Sint Eustatius en Saba (“OM”) heeft een tweetal geldtransactiekantoren op Sint Maarten – Popular Express en Money Express - een transactie aangeboden ter voorkoming van verdere strafrechtelijke vervolging.